Saturday 23 March 2013

...and so to home...

Friday: to lunch with Mary Logan and Leah Lough (AAMI). It was great to be able to spend time with them, to understand more about their agenda and the relationships between AAMI, FDA, AAMI Foundation, HTSI, HFES, the people and groups I have met over the past few weeks, and other key individuals and organisations. Not that I think I comprehend it completely even now, but the picture is getting clearer. AAMI has been orchestrating research and development around the safety of infusions devices as well as other themes such has home healthcare. Hopefully, our work on CHI+MED contributes to the overall "picture" even if we have a UK / European focus (compared with AAMI's natural US focus).

Then to the airport -- rather early, just because that's the way the day turned out. Fortunately, there were power sockets in the departures area, so I could get on with reading and writing. I ought to create a personal hit-list of airports that hide any power sockets so that you can only work on a digital device until the battery runs flat. And avoid them. Come on, airports: get into the 21st century!

On an earlier flight, I had found myself sitting next to another professor of Computer Science. On this one, I was next to a safety critical systems consultant. It was great to compare notes and to learn from each other...until it was time to sleep.

I have managed to stay awake all day, and to do many of the mundane tasks that needed doing after such a long trip. I even managed to stay awake through an episode of Horizon! Now the challenge is going to be to maintain the momentum as the pressures of the ordinary reassert themselves. I am very glad to be home with family, and looking forward to meeting up with my research team again, but I had a great time (I thoroughly recommend such a trip!), and I hope that the many dialogues will lead to fruitful future collaborations. Thank you to everyone who made this trip so interesting and enjoyable, and to the Royal Society and EPSRC for funding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment