Friday 15 March 2013

Delight in Baltimore

Last day in Baltimore for a while. I'm getting rather fond of the place, despite its reputation and the painful divide between privileged and impoverished.

Today I spent the entire morning in my hotel room. I intentionally had not set my alarm, but then awoke in a panic at 7.15am, remembering that I had a skype meeting with people in London... but was it at 7am or 8am? I hadn't a clue! With the many small time-changes I've had on this trip, I had completely lost track of what time the meeting was meant to be. It turned out I was OK, and had 45 minutes to turn from a sleepy person into a professional one. Whew!

Much of the day was then filled with "invisible work", meaning that at 2pm (when I left my hotel room) I had no real idea of what I had achieved in the past 6 hours, other than having a meeting with people in London and clearing a backlog of email. Oh: and writing up some of the notes from many meetings and presentations over the past week or so. Got some way to go on that activity though...

The walk from the hotel to the Armstrong Institute is not far. The following two photos show the hotel from the AI offices (hotel on the far left on the horizon of the left-hand photo) and, conversely, the AI offices from the hotel (AI offices are 15th floor of the tower block next to the canal):










I chose to walk a different way to the offices today, and was delighted when I came across a "homonym path": a section of pavement where some of the paving blocks had had words carved on them, and homonyms had been juxtaposed:
Some of the homonyms only work if you speak American, but it was so surprising (in a very positive way) to encounter this playful pavement that it really brightened up my afternoon.

Postscript (just to add to the time confusion): I have just realised that all the posts in this blog appear to be time-stamped west-coast time. As far as I'm concerned, I've posted this entry at 8.28pm, and yet it is time-stamped 17.28. Whoa! Where am I?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment