Sunday 17 March 2013

Freezing St Patrick's Day

It is cold (by my standards) in Toronto. I have been indoors most of the day (yes, working: it has to be done!), but took a stroll to the lakeside this afternoon. It feels as if the whole area is being rebuilt: big cranes, roads blocked, diversions everywhere: not actually particularly pleasurable for a wander. I thought of going up the CN Tower, but realised I'd have to get a bank overdraft to do so (it costs HOW much?!?). Ah well: there were some entertaining sights... and my brunch at the local Beer Bistro was definitely worth getting out for!

Today is St Patrick's Day. About half the people on the streets were wearing something green, and so were many of the dogs. I suspect the proportion (of green, not of dogs) was even higher in the pubs. I passed someone who was unashamedly wearing a big badge that proclaimed that he was "Irish for a day". St Patrick's Day seems to be much bigger here and in the US than anywhere in England; if it weren't at the weekend, I wonder whether it would be a national holiday!

There is a "beach" on the lakeside. I have some photos of family beach holidays when I was little that are good reminders of how unseasonal a British summer can be, but nothing to match the view of people sitting on deck-chairs under a sun-umbrella swathed in down jackets and fur hoods. Just along the way, people were ice-skating (and the ice didn't need to be artificially frozen: nature was providing that service). That seemed like a much more seasonally appropriate way to spend the time. I love the idea of a "turn up and skate" (no charge: just step onto the ice) rink. I can't imagine that happening as Somerset House (or any of the other places where rinks pop up around Christmas in London).

No comments:

Post a Comment