Tuesday 12 March 2013

HFES Healthcare Symposium Day 2

Another busy day in Baltimore, where my brain has got full to overflowing, and I have met yet more interesting and engaging people.

I cannot imagine a conference like this, which really brings together practitioners and researchers, regulators and manufacturers, MDs and PhDs (and people with other kinds of qualifications), happening in the UK. Not on an equal footing, anyway. It's not a highly academic conference: I haven't come away with great new scientific insights. But I have heard about a lot of research and practice, and experiences that resonate well with the findings from our studies. And I feel I have a better sense of the pressures and practices that shape healthcare and the design and use of interactive technologies in North America.

And some good news: after it has started, the Royal Society has awarded a travel grant for the trip – better late than never (I applied for it last October...). And two members of my research team have had journal papers accepted (subject to small changes) this week. Lots to celebrate when I get home.

Apropos of nothing, here's the view from my hotel room during the day (the greenish buildings are the Johns Hopkins medical campus / hospital) and at night (said buildings covered in lights).

1 comment:

  1. How nice to get an impression of your trip. I am not a blog-reader at all generally but this seems to me a good use of the tech. Keep enjoying!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete